I really enjoy doing challenges when playing the Sims. While I’ve been playing since the first Sims came out, I only learned about them in the early days of The Sims 4. I have since gone back and played some Rags to Riches, which are my favourite type, in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 but I’ve done many more types of challenges in The Sims 4. That said, here’s my overview of challenges in The Sims 4 for anyone interested in attempting them.
I also have a tutorial playlist for the Rags to Riches challenge; here is a link. This is a new version and currently has one video with the guidelines, more will be added:🙂
Many people like to do challenges to keep their game interesting. Challenges can be a fun way to explore the game and find out new things about it that you didn’t know before.
There are many types of challenges, while many focus on game play, there are also some build and CAS challenges.
If you are just starting out, I recommend starting with a shorter one but the best challenge for you really depends on what you like to do.
Some popular challenges are:
• Legacy (start with a founding sim & play for 10 generations): https://www.simslegacychallenge.com/the-sims-4-legacy-challenge-rules/
• Rags to Riches/Rosebud: sim starts with nothing & the goal is to get rich, see link to my video tutorial above. I also have a write up of the guidelines: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2020/05/05/sims-4-rags-to-riches-guidelines/
There are also different versions, two popular ones are:
and Rags to Riches Mega Challenge: http://modthesims.info/t/550861 ),
• Runaway Teen (essentially rags to riches but you start with a teen): https://stormydayzgamez.wordpress.com/runaway-teen-challenge-rules-updated-22417/
• Asylum: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/966349/the-sims-4-asylum-challenge-updated-sept-2019
• Not So Berry (a type of legacy) (requires Get to Work, City Living, Movie Stuff & Parenthood): https://lilsimsie.tumblr.com/post/157671494755/not-so-berry-legacy-challenge
• Black Widow: http://sims4challengesrules.blogspot.com/2014/10/black-widow-challenge.html, and
• 100 Baby: https://snarky-sims-witch.tumblr.com/post/181535303038/tos-i-am-the-original-writer-of-the-sims-4-version.
• 100 Bae: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/100-bae-challenge
• Drifter Challenge, link to my summary which links to the rules: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2020/04/27/drifter-challenge/
• Murkland Challenge (post apocalyptic challenge; requires certain packs): https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/910413/post-apocalyptic-murkland-the-starter-challenge
However, there are many more challenges to choose from. I find Runaway Teen is a shorter challenge, so can be good for starting out if the rags to riches concept interests you. If you like to combine building with game play the Build Newcrest Challenge (legacy) and The Drifter Challenge are good challenges that combine both.
Some questions I frequently see asked about challenges:
1) DO THEY REQUIRE THE USE OF MODS? Most of the popular challenges don’t require the use of mods. For example, teens can easily live on their own and you can even create a household with the teen as the oldest member in the household (this includes younger siblings). If anything, most challenges state that mods shouldn’t be used to create an unfair advantage over someone who doesn’t use them.
2) DO CHALLENGES HAVE WINNERS? Challenges are usually done just to challenge yourself to complete the goals of the challenge as opposed to it being a competition, though some challenges have scoring so you can compare how you do to others.
Keep in mind that the main goal of a challenge should be to make your game enjoyable, so you should play it as you like. Many people ‘tweak’ the rules to help suit their game play style, so if that means you want to change it up by using mods to make it more fun, that’s what you should do.
Here’s a link to the Sims 4 forums which has a list of many challenges, as well as links to the individual challenge rules. http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/906643/sims-4-challenge-list-updated-may-15th-2018/p1
List of challenges on the Sims Community Site: http://simscommunity.info/the-sims-4-challenges/
List of challenges on the Sims Community Social forums: https://simscommunity.info/social/forums/challenges.14/
List of challenges on ModtheSims: https://modthesims.info/t/forumdisplay.php?f=712
I’ve also created a few challenges myself:
Homeless Musician (short challenge): https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2019/02/03/homeless-musician-challenge/
Alien Encounters Challenge (requires Get to Work): https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2019/03/06/alien-encounters-challenge/
Rags to Riches 7 Toddler Challenge (short challenge):
I followed up the Rags to Riches 7 Toddler Challenge with challenges at each life stage up to and including university, here are links to them:
- Super Kids Challenge (medium challenge): https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2020/07/02/super-kids-challenge/
- Super Teens Challenge (medium challenge): https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2020/09/25/super-teens-challenge/
- University Challenge (medium challenge): https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2021/05/22/sims-4-university-challenge/
Spellcaster Baby Challenge (longer challenge, though shorter than a full legacy):
Rags to Riches focused on Specific Packs (medium challenges), note while these all have your sim, or sims, start with no money, and usually no home, the focus is on the packs, not necessarily getting ‘rich’ :
- Spa Day Refresh: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2021/09/10/rags-to-wellness-sims-4-spa-day-refresh/
- Cottage Living Rags to Riches: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2021/08/07/cottage-living-rags-to-riches-sims-4/
- Dream Home Decorator: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2021/06/16/homeless-decorator-sims-4-dream-home-decorator-rags-to-riches/
- Paranormal Stuff: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2021/02/20/sims-4-ghost-hunters-challenge/
- Snowy Escape: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2020/12/05/rags-to-riches-snowy-escape-edition/
- Eco Lifestyle: https://maplesimmer.video.blog/2020/06/14/rags-to-riches-eco-lifestyle-edition/
- Discover University: rules on my YouTube playlist:
- Island Living: rules on my YouTube playlist:
If you have any questions or want to share your own Sims game play with other Simmers head over to my Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/maplesimmersimssanctuary or my discord, https://discord.gg/aJaX7Pca8A